Saving money in Warhammer 40,000 can be a daunting task, especially for new players. But it’s important to remember that the hobby can quickly become expensive if not approached with a plan.
Why you should start planning on how to save money with Warhammer 40K
- Firstly, it is an expensive hobby that can quickly become unaffordable, especially for beginners. The game requires not only miniature models, but also paints, brushes, terrain, rule books, and other accessories, all of which can add up to a significant amount of money. Therefore, it’s essential to save money wherever possible to make the hobby more sustainable and enjoyable in the long run.
- Secondly, saving money allows players to invest in other aspects of the hobby, such as attending events or buying new releases. Attending events like tournaments or game days can be a great way to meet new players, learn new strategies, and have fun. However, these events often come with additional costs, such as travel and accommodation, that can quickly add up. By saving money on other aspects of the hobby, players can afford to invest in attending events and fully enjoying the Warhammer 40,000 community.
- Thirdly, saving money can help players avoid the temptation of overspending on their hobby. It’s easy to get carried away with buying new miniatures, paints, or terrain, but it’s important to keep in mind that there are always new releases coming out. By setting a budget and sticking to it, players can avoid overspending and instead focus on enjoying the hobby in a more sustainable way.
The tips below will provide clues and strategies for saving money while still enjoying the game.
Three buying strategies & tips:
- Purchase Secondhand Miniatures: Buying used models can save a considerable amount of money. Check online marketplaces, forums, or local game stores for secondhand models.
- Buy in Bulk: Many retailers such Element Games, Firestorm Games or Wayland Games, offer discounts for buying larger quantities of models. Consider buying in bulk with friends or splitting the cost of a bundle with someone.
- Wait for Sales and Discounts: Keep an eye out for sales and discounts at game stores or on the manufacturer’s website. Sign up for newsletters or follow social media accounts to stay updated.
Four building strategies & tips:
- Use Fewer Models: Consider using fewer models in your army. This not only saves money on models but also saves time and effort in painting and building.
- Proxy Models: Instead of buying expensive models for a specific army, consider temporary using cheaper models and proxying them as the desired unit.
- Kitbashing: Mix and match parts from different models to create unique units. This not only saves money but also adds a personal touch to your army.
- Use Cheaper Materials: Substitute expensive materials like resin for cheaper alternatives like plastic or cardboard. These can be found in hobby or craft stores.
Four painting strategies & tips:
- Use Fewer Colors: Limit the number of colors used in your army to save money on paints. Focus on using the most essential colors for your army.
- Use Cheaper Paints: Consider using cheaper paints from alternative brands or craft stores. These can be a fraction of the cost of Games Workshop paints.
- Paint Only the Essentials: Focus on painting only the essential parts of the model instead of going for a full detail. This can save time and effort.
- Use Simple Techniques: Focus on simple techniques like basecoating, drybrushing, or washes instead of complex techniques that require expensive tools and materials.
Five gaming strategies & tips:
- Play with Fewer Points: Playing smaller games with fewer points can save money on models and also speed up gameplay.
- Play with More Terrain: Adding more terrain to your game not only adds visual interest but also makes the game more strategic and can reduce the need for expensive models.
- Play Smaller Games: Consider playing smaller games with friends instead of participating in larger tournaments.
- Play with Others: Playing with others not only saves money on models but also builds a community and can lead to new friendships.
- Play Fewer Games: Limit the number of games played each month to save time and money.
Saving money on Warhammer 40,000 is possible with the right strategies and techniques. By following the tips outlined by our team in this guide, players can cut down on costs without sacrificing the enjoyment of the game.
From buying secondhand miniatures and using cheaper painting techniques to playing smaller games and finding like-minded players, there are many ways to save money on Warhammer 40,000. Remember, the goal is not to spend less and enjoy the game less, but to spend smarter and enjoy the game just as much.
With these tips and a bit of creativity, you can also create an army they’re proud of without breaking the bank. So get out there, have fun, and save some money while you’re at it!