Black Templar is a dark, matte black paint from Citadel Colour. With its high concentration of pigments and acrylic resin, it provides excellent coverage as a base coat, making it perfect for miniature painting. It is an excellent foundational color for a variety of applications, from creating highlights and shadows to highlighting details and accents. It is a must-have color for beginners and experienced painters alike in their paint palette.
What armies to paint with Black Templar
Black Templar is a versatile paint that, based on the color it is paired with, can be used to produce a variety of effects. Here are three Warhammer 40K armies whose color palette would look fantastic with Black Templar:
- Space Marines: Black Templar is a popular choice for Space Marines, especially those in the Black Templars chapter. It can be used as a base coat for their black armour, providing a solid foundation for highlighting and shading.
- Adeptus Mechanicus: The Adeptus Mechanicus are a faction of cybernetic warriors and priests, with their armour and weaponry featuring a lot of intricate details. Black Templar can be used to create a dark, metallic effect on their bodies and machines, with the black providing a strong contrast to the metallic elements.
- Necrons: The Necrons are an ancient race of robotic beings, with their armour and weapons often featuring a dark, metallic finish. Black Templar can be used to create a deep, shadowy effect on their bodies, while also complementing the metallic hues of their armour.
In making this decision, I took into account the aesthetics and color schemes of each force as well as Black Templar’s versatility in providing a solid foundation for additional highlighting and shading.
Black Templar Colour Schemes & Combinations
Here are some suggestions for one Citadel Colour paint for each of the colors that can be used together with Black Templar:
- Blue: Calgar Blue is a great color to use as a highlight on Black Templar armor. Its lighter hue will contrast nicely with the dark black, making details stand out. For deeper shadows, consider using Drakenhof Nightshade.
- Gold: Auric Armour Gold is a good option to use for highlighting gold details on the armor or accessories. You could also use it to paint the trim of the armor. A wash of Reikland Fleshshade will add depth and dimension to the gold.
- Green: Waaagh! Flesh is a good option to highlight the green elements on the armor. It’s a lighter and brighter green, which will contrast nicely with the dark black. A wash of Biel-Tan Green will deepen the shadows and make the green hues more interesting.
Using these three colors together with Black Templar creates a balanced and harmonious color scheme, as blue and gold are complementary colors, and green is a split-complementary color with blue and gold.
The addition of metallics like Runefang Steel or Ironbreaker can be used to highlight metallic elements on the armor or weapons for added interest.
Remember, these are just suggestions, and there are many other Citadel Colour paints that can be used to achieve different effects and looks. Experimenting with color combinations and techniques is a great way to find a painting style that works for you.