Nuln Oil is a dark and mysterious color that is an essential tool in the miniature painting beginner’s palette. It is an acrylic paint that provides a smooth and matt finish that can be applied as a wash or a glaze over a base coat. The finely ground pigment of this paint ensures full coverage over surfaces, enhancing depth and shadows on the miniature’s details. Nuln Oil serves as an excellent foundation that can be used to create a range of darker tones and enhance the details of your miniature painting projects.
What armies to paint with Nuln Oil
Nuln Oil is a multipurpose paint that can be used to great effect on a variety of Warhammer 40K armies, giving your models depth and shadow. The following three armies work especially well with this paint:
- Space Marines: Nuln Oil is an excellent choice for painting Space Marines, as it can be used to create shadows and contrast on the armor, as well as adding depth to the details of their weapons and equipment.
- Astra Militarum: The Astra Militarum’s focus on mechanized warfare and infantry units means that Nuln Oil can be used to great effect on their tanks and infantry models. This paint can be used to create grime and oil stains on the vehicles, as well as enhancing the depth of the details on the infantry models.
- Chaos Space Marines: Nuln Oil is a popular choice for painting the grim and menacing models of the Chaos Space Marines. It can be used to create shadows on the models’ twisted armor and weapons, as well as adding depth to their grotesque details.
Nuln Oil Colour Schemes & Combinations
Here are some individual Citadel Colour paints that you can use alongside Nuln Oil to create an excellent color combo for your miniatures:
- Blue: Kantor Blue – This deep blue shade can be used to create a complementary color scheme alongside Nuln Oil. It is great for painting Space Marine armor, or any other model that needs a rich blue color with a shadowy effect.
- Green: Nurgling Green – This pale green shade can be used to create an analogous color scheme alongside Nuln Oil. It is great for painting Nurgle daemons, Plague Marines, or any other model that needs a sickly, rotten green hue.
- Bronze: Runelord Brass – This metallic shade is an excellent complement to the dark tones of Nuln Oil, providing balance and contrast to the miniatures. It can be used for highlighting the edges of Chaos Space Marine armor, Necron Warriors, or any other model that needs a warm, metallic finish.